ABOUT RESPONSIBLE SOURCING
Material stewardship is an ethic that embodies the responsible management of resources – in case of zinc it is the metal itself and all resources associated with its production, use and recycling. In practice, materials stewardship is about :
- Understanding the social, environmental and economic impacts of your material as it moves through its life cycle from mining to use and through to the end of its life.
- Developing relationships with other actors along the life cycle who can promote the benefits and appropriate use of your material or who can minimize risks to human health and the environment.
- Acting on appropriate stewardship activities for the part of the life cycle you directly control.
How the Zinc Industry Demonstrates Responsibility
Regulators, the financial sector, and large user groups such as the automotive industry increasingly demand certification of responsibly sourced raw materials. As the spectrum of attention broadens from due diligence in supply chains to cover all environmental, social, and governance (ESG) dimensions, the zinc industry has created efficient and harmonized solutions for transparent reporting and assurance across the value chain.
Collaboration is our key to success:
- LME Approved Partner: Joint Due Diligence Standard for Zn, Cu, Pb, and Ni.
- Supporting organization for International RBC Agreement for the Metals Sector.
- Association member of ResponsibleSteel.
Zinc Mark full ESG assurance scheme launches November 1st, 2022!
- Efficient and harmonized ESG assurance system built on consistent frameworks, fee structures, product coverage, and accessibility across metals
- Partnership between IZA, Copper Mark, Nickel Institute, and International Molybdenum Association
- Designed by IZA, built by the Copper Mark (see website for details).
Why Material Stewardship matters to IZA
IZA as an association has no direct influence on production or use of zinc. In the above sense of practical material stewardship, IZAs role is to analyze impacts, interact with its member companies and with zinc users, and work with both towards a responsible and sustainable use of zinc and its associated resources.
For us material stewardship goes beyond responsible management. Trustworthiness, credibility and, transparency are attributes that for us are mandatory prerequisites for material stewardship.
IZA is the Knowledge Hub
Understanding impacts and material cycles is key to responsible management and improvement:
IZA and the UN SDGs
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. IZA and its member companies contribute to the UN SDGs.
- IZA members regularly among TSM Leadership Award winners