Annual Zn Consumption in Fertilizer (tonnes)
Forecast Zn Growth in Fertilizer by 2030
ZINC'S VALUE PROPOSITION
Zinc deficiency takes an enormous toll on both humans and agricultural crop productivity. Adding zinc fertilizer to soils can significantly increase crop yield, boost nutritional value in humans, and improve farmers incomes.
Zinc deficiency is the most common micronutrient deficiency, affecting more than 50% of the World's agricultural soils.
Zinc fertilizer increases crop yield and improves water uptake, resulting in healthier, stronger crops.
When added to fertilizers, zinc increases crop yields and nutrition quality.
Applying zinc fertilizers to soil and on plant leaves offers a simple and highly effective solution to zinc deficiency problems and significantly increases food and nutrition security.
IZA launched the Zinc Nutrient Initiative to raise awareness of the widespread prevalence of global zinc deficiency and the importance of zinc fertilizers in addressing food security. ZNI members are leading companies in the industry. The ZNI approach is designed to establish activities and best practices in the target countries that will ultimately be market-driven and therefore sustainable in the long term. We've created a dedicated micro-site for those interested in learning more about zinc fertilizers and the impacts of agricultural zinc deficiency.
Zinc Nutrient Initiative Members
We also work with governments, universities, and other non-profit organizations:
- Argus FMB
- Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute (BARI)
- China Agriculture University (CAU)
- China’s National Agro-Tech Extension Service Center (NATESC), Ministry of Agriculture (MOA), P.R. China
- China Phosphate and Compound Fertilizer Industry Association (CPCFIA)
- Federal University of Lavras, Brazil
- Instituto Nacional des Investigaciones Forestales Agricolas y Pecuras
- International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
- International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI)
- International Potato Center
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI)
- Lundin Foundation
- Sabanci University, Turkey
- The African Institute of Corporate Citizenship
- The Fertilizer Association of India (FAI)
- The Micronutrient Manufacturers Association, USA (MMA)
- The Sulphur Institute (TSI)
- United Nations Common Funds for Commodities